Introduction: My Inner Wes Anderson

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Hello all! Welcome to my blog ☺ Here I will record the  entire process of my two minute production to every last detail. Even though I'm probably one of the most awkward beings on this planet, I'm really passionate about my ideas and I'm excited to share this entire experience. I want to start off by presenting my biggest inspiration throughout the making of this production: Wes Anderson. 

After previously watching The Grand Budapest Hotel and analyzing Moonrise Kingdom in class, I decided to indulge myself further in the Wes Anderson world by watching/rewatching some of his films. There's something about his cinematography that really intrigues me, but I wasn't 100% sure what it was until I did some further research on his film direction. I decided to watch The Film Guy's feature on  Wes Anderson on Youtube, which is an overall breakdown of his style ⤵

             


I don't think I want my film to resemble the same kind of stories Wes Anderson produces, but I do want it to have similar stylistic choices. Anderson's films usually contain themes associated with grief, loss of innocence, dysfunctional families, parental abandonment, adultery, sibling rivalry, and unlikely friendships. However, he always includes a touch of comedy or a love affair within his movies, which is something I would like to add to my story. I think I want my film to have a sort of indie feel; what I mean by that is trying to develop my own style and concentrating on the more artistic elements of my production. I also want my story to fit either the drama or crime genre, or maybe both... But so far there's a couple of Wes Anderson motifs I 100% want to include: 

Storytelling/narrative direction: Anderson makes all of his films seem like a children's book with the use of his camera shots and angles. He usually avoids any depth in his shots and makes them as flat and symmetrical as possible. He also avoids excessive camera movement, but does include many zooms, tracking shots, and wide angles.




A Specific Color Palette: As seen in the video, each scene or  shot has a specific color palette ranging from 4-5 main colors. I think this adds on the story book feeling of the film, and makes it more aesthetically pleasing. 




















Character Drawn: I want my film to be especially character driven, which is something Wes Anderson never fails to do. I think I want my opening to introduce the main character and establish the setting, that way the audience immediately feels like those aspects are more significant throughout history.


Including titles as tangible objects: Most Wes Anderson titles are also PHYSICALLY embedded into an object in the film, making it seem like the characters actually are aware that they are in the movie. This gives the movies a more surrealist twist, which is what I would want to go for. 

Wes Anderson is overall my biggest inspiration for my project, and I plan for his films to creatively fuel many ideas I'm excited to explore.

xx Maria

Citations:


Hill, K. (2014, March 16). Wes Anderson's Cinematography: Color and Balance. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/03/what-do-wes-anderson-films-and-geometry-have-in-co.html

R. (2015, October 25). 14 Whimsical Motifs That Every Wes Anderson Film Has in Common. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://mic.com/articles/84731/14-whimsical-motifs-that-every-wes-anderson-film-has-in-common#.mWwnR2PWy

T. (2017, January 31). How to Direct Like Wes Anderson - Style and Trope Breakdown. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDeo49wtvdU

Obenson, T. A. (2013, February 25). How Do You Define Independent Film? Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.indiewire.com/2013/02/how-do-you-define-independent-film-138001/


TSPDT. (n.d.). Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.theyshootpictures.com/andersonwes.htm

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts