Character & Genre Ideas

Sunday, March 12, 2017

As stated in the article from No Film School, I want to deeply develop my character in order to have a more intriguing story. Usually movies (such as Memento and Inception) have multi-dimensional characters that help the audience gain a more intimate relationship with them. Since I want my film to be especially character driven, I want to develop my main character before I start developing the story around him. 

As for specific characteristic, 'Wes Andersonism' strikes again. Like many of the director's protagonists, I want my main character to be quirky, mysterious, and charming. I also want to incorporate some of MY personal traits to shine through within the the film. Since I'm an artist, I figured it would be an good choice to make the film about something I'm passionate about. It led me to creating the overall idea for my introduction, and develop some traits that would fit with it for the main character. 

Introduction idea:
A man walks into a hardware store and steals paint.*

The concept of it seems simple enough. Just a robbery scene? No, not really. Apart from the overall action of stealing the paint, I want each scene to be aesthetically pleasing and have underlying symbolism that foreshadows future events within the film. But stealing the paint does serve a purpose, it connects to the overall genre ideas I have compiled for the rest of the film. Like Anderson's 1996 film Bottle Rocket, I want my film to have some components associated with the crime genre. I want my film to have the overall essence of a comedy and drama, but I also think the main story will be about multiple robberies. This puts my production under the CAPER genre. The caper genre is basically a story about organized crime, more specifically, robbery. However, it is separated from heist films, since capers usually include elements of comedy. 

The following video also exemplifies the kind of character(s) I want to include in my film, similar to Anderson's: 


*Adding on to my idea, since I want my piece to be very artistically centered, I also want to feature my titles (Directed by....Produced by....) on paint swatches as the main character picks the colors.

Maybe after developing my story further I will decide to incline more towards other genres. But for now, those are the ones I have in mind. I also will build my character further in order to expand on what exactly the story will be about.

xx Maria

Citations: 

Capers and Heists: The Movies. (2015, November 17). Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.genrify.com/2014/10/capers-and-heists-the-movies/

Renée, V. (2016, March 22). Jake Gyllenhaal on How to Make World-Changing, Character-Driven Films. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://nofilmschool.com/2016/03/jake-gyllenhaal-how-make-world-changing-character-driven-films

W. (2016, January 22). Top 10 Greatest Wes Anderson Characters. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLVxFpftwo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts